Mexican Style Baked Pasta
Prep: 20 minutesCook: 45 minutesServes: 8
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 package (16 ounces) AFS® Butternut Veggie Noodles
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ pound ground turkey
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 jar (15 ounces) mild or medium chunky salsa
- 1 package (1 ounce) less-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 package (8 ounces) finely shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 4 green onions, sliced (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray; add Veggie Noodles, oil and salt and toss to combine. Cover dish with foil; bake 30 minutes.
- In large skillet, cook turkey and pepper over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until browned, breaking up meat with side of spoon; stir in salsa and seasoning. Heat to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; fold in 1 cup cheese.
- Toss turkey mixture with Veggie Noodle mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes or until top is browned. Let stand 5 minutes; serve sprinkled with onions and cilantro.
Note from the Dietitian
The butternut noodles are an excellent source of vitamins A and C and lower in carbohydrate and calories than most pasta. This recipe contains 873mg sodium and 14g fat (51% of total calories) and 6g saturated fat (22% of total calories) per serving. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting daily sodium intake to 2300mg and saturated fat to no more than 10% of total daily calories. Limit sodium and saturated fats in other daily meals as part of a balanced approach to a healthy diet. Consider serving with a carbohydrate-based side or using this dish to balance higher carbohydrate meals in order to manage carbohydrate intake to about 60-70% of your daily caloric intake.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015 - 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. December 2015. Available at https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/.